- [Travel Diary] Europe 2018 | 1. Amsterdam
- [Travel Diary] Europe 2018 | 2. Zaanse Schans
- [Travel Diary] Europe 2018 | 3. Giethoorn
- [Travel Diary] Europe 2018 | 4. Brügge
- [Travel Diary] Europe 2018 | 5. Brügge
- [Travel Diary] Europe 2018 | 6. Brussels
- [Travel Diary] Europe 2018 | 7. Lisbon
- [Travel Diary] Europe 2018 | 8. Lisbon (Feira da Ladra – Cabo da Roca – Cascais)
- [Travel Diary] Europe 2018 | 9. Belem, Lisbon
- [Travel Diary] Europe 2018 | 10. Lisbon
- [Travel Diary] Europe 2018 | 11. Lisbon (Cacilhas – Cristo Rei)
Belém, Lisbon, Portugal
Belém – The heart of Portuguese history
We left Cascais reluctantly. It’s awesome to find that a place where you hadn’t expected much turned out to be absolutely stunning. I guess Cascais was just that magical.
The train ride from Cascais back to the city centre of Lisbon runs along coastal line. Waves slowly lapped against the shore and the sun was about to set. Everything seemed perfectly peaceful and calming. Since we’d pass by Belém, we thought it was a good idea to visit Belém Tower (Torre de Belém).
Built on the northern bank of Tagus, Belém Tower was part of the Tagus estuary defence system. Visitors could walk up to the charming little fort but alas, luck was not on our side that day! The little bridge connecting the bank and the fort closed at 5pm, we were there slightly late (5:07pm)! As one of the Lisbon’s finest attractions, the exterior of the tower was definitely a sight to behold!
Another (great) reason to visit Belém was Pastéis de Belém, the home to original Portuguese egg tart pastry. Do not let the long queue in front of the shop to upset you! (The crowd was waiting in line to buy takeaway) To dine in, there was literally no queue at all. We did not want to exaggerate. The tarts were the finest we’ve ever tasted, we ordered four pieces and all of them vanished in no time.
After a fulfilling seafood dinner, we took a bus back to Lisbon city centre and called it a day. Phew! Such a fruitful day!
Disclaimer: Travel diaries are our first records of any trip. We write them after each day of our trip. Information might vary from time to time.